Once upon a time, garage doors were not supported by technology and the opening was regular. Fortunately, technology developed, which made the lives of many families much easier. Connecting appliances to smartphones are one of the benefits of our time. Being able to be informed about the things that happen at your house while you’re traveling or working can take away your worries and fears. There are many things that are beneficial for the users, but when deciding whether to install a smart garage door opener, make sure you assess the drawbacks too. This is the only way to be fully satisfied and avoid being surprised by unexpected expenses.
5 Benefits of smart garage door openers
There are many benefits of having a smart door opener, but here we will list the main ones.
- Comfort – Imagine getting home tired from work while it’s raining outside, you are in the driveway and you want to get into a garage as fast as possible. You need to get out of your car and open your garage manually. Sounds familiar, right? If this is the scenario you don’t want to repeat, installing a smart garage door opener and pressing a button to open your garage door will make things so much easier. This is an enormous benefit, don’t you agree?
- Protection – We live in a world where crime is very much present. With a smart garage door opener, it will be harder for a burglar to get inside your garage. A user can choose a security code and share it only with the family members so that the house stays protected as much as possible. Besides, you can get notifications on your smartphone if the garage door is opened without your authorization, so you can react promptly.
In addition, there is always the option of installing a camera inside that can put the security of your home to the next level. Installing a smoke detector can be a life savior, especially because in cases of high levels of carbon monoxide, the user gets a notification on the phone, so even in cases when you are in another country traveling, you can open the door and let the fumes out.
- Accessibility – Opening a regular garage door can be tiring and in case of injuries or disability, that can be a very hard task to perform and sometimes even impossible. Easy opening by pressing a button can make the life of any user much more convenient and raise accessibility significantly./
- Easy parking – If you wish to park like a pro every time, you can opt for installing lasers that will activate every time you get into a garage. They will guide you, so you can make sure you don’t damage anything in your garage or your car, particularly if your garage is small in size.
- Cost-effectiveness – Some people believe that installing a smart garage door opener is very pricey and that using it will increase the cost of electricity significantly. However, this is not the case. There are various offers on the market so that the user can choose one according to the budget. Concerning the price of the electricity, it can increase your bill slightly, just like any other appliance you’re using.
All in all, we believe that a smart door opener can give you peace of mind. You can control it from all over the world via your smartphone. In case your smoke detector activates, by checking your cam you can see what it is about. All the unwanted guests will stay away. On the rainy days, you will be dry in your car, with no need to get wet to open your garage so you can park. There will be no way to forget to close it and worry all day while you’re working. Your phone is all you need to make sure everything is in its place. Pretty cool, right?
In case you do decide that buying and installing a smart garage door opener is worth your investment check the best garage door openers on GarageSanctum.
3 Cons of garage door openers to consider
As promised, we will discuss the disadvantages too so you can make an informed decision whether to install a smart garage opener or not.
- Price of installation – If you don’t do your research and choose the first offer you get, you might end up with a headache concerning the price of installing your garage door opener. It is not easy to automate a garage door and it involves work that a crew of professionals will need to perform. Make sure you ask about all the hidden costs in order to avoid unpleasant surprises.
- Maintenance price – In order to have everything running smoothly, you will need to be willing to pay the regular maintenance price. Keep in mind that in case of a malfunction, that adds to the initial price. Like with anything else in the house – it may need to be repaired from time to time.
- Power failure – in case you experience a power failure, your garage door won’t be able to perform as usual. This means that you may be stuck in the garage during that time or it may be open until you get the power back. Even though this happens very rarely, it is something that needs to be taken into consideration.
With all that said, we believe you have enough information to decide if installing a smart garage opener is right for you. Make sure you check all offers available and choose the option according to your budget. Even if you are still not convinced about the benefits and the disadvantages keep you a little suspicious about the whole thing, you may want to start with a basic option and go from there. You may be surprised just how simpler your life has become. If you are not sure which garage opener to choose, on GarageSanctum you will find everything there is to know about garage door openers and inform yourself about the best one.