Counter-Strike is an extraordinary shooter, not just in aspects of the gameplay ‘s extreme easiness, thanks to which everyone can start playing it and have fun, even with no experience. Another essential aspect of the game is that the default settings menu is so damn useless that most parameters must be set using the console in CS: GO.
That means that for a start you’ll have to access the developer console for more hidden features. It sounds pretty absurd to those of you who are new to the game, because you’d expect the game you’ve purchased to be ready from the moment it is installed.
Although it might sound like an inconvenience, it is amazing indeed. CS: GO has given us unprecedented freedom to personalize your experience, but it just takes you to get used to that, it’s everything. Enabling the console developer is the first important step towards making the game truly your own.
To open the developer console through the options menu in-game you need to:
Launched CS:GO, then you’ll be brought to a main menu screen.
Click the settings cog at the bottom left of the screen and then head on over to the “Game Settings” tab.
Scan through the list until you see the “Enable Developer Console” option and set it to “Yes”.
Now that you’ve done this, make sure you click “Apply” at the bottom of the screen before moving on.
Now select “Keyboard and Mouse” settings.
Search for the “Toggle Console” option at the bottom of the page, click on it and bind it to the key you’d feel most comfortable with. Try and avoid clashing it with another if possible, as this’ll make life much easier!
Again, click “Apply” before closing the options screen and heading back to the main menu.
The second way is to enable the console through the launch options:
- Go to the games library on Steam.
- Right-click on CS: GO and open Properties.
- Find “Set launch options …” on the first tab.
- Write “console” and click OK in the window that appears.
Done! Now you need to go into CS: GO or restart the game.
You may ask, why at all this is needed. So here are some of the reasons for entering commands into the developer console.
- You can maximize the customization for your playstyle
- You can customise practically every aspect of the game’s appearance to make eliminating enemies that little bit easier for you.
- Complete customisation of the crosshair.
- Many elements of Minimap can be modified.
- Model character bob and location of the gun can be changed.
- To assess how well your PC is running the game, you can display all kinds of in-depth Stats.
- As you can activate and disable bots, hit registration and more, it is one of the key ways to monitor practice games.
There are, certainly, many, many more things you can do with the command console, so it’s vital that you learn how to open it and get used to implementing it.
Read more about CS:GO console commands.